Friday 16 December 2011

Doofy hat

Today's pointless photo isn't of a doofy hat. You know, just in case anyone was confused.

I sometimes forget, when I'm out and about around this time of year, that if people smile at me it's probably not out of a spirit of 'tis the season or anything like that. No, they're probably just confused at the doofy hat on my head. That I generally forget that I'm wearing, it should go without saying.

See, here's the thing. I knit a little. Or I should say, I knit but I don't have the attention span to knit anything that takes more than a few days. I've made one afghan, true, but the only reason that happened is that it was done up in one-foot squares of different pattern stitches, then sewn up into sort of a quilt thing when all the squares were done. I'd never have lasted if I'd had to do the whole thing in a single pattern. So what do you knit when you don't have the patience to knit anything bigger than, say, a couple of skeins' worth?

Doofy hats.

Winter hats. Toques, as we'd call them here in Canada.

I've made myself more than a few toques over the year. Some of them qualify as almost normal.

Some of them are doofy.

My Christmas ones are, by the very fact that they're Christmas ones, extremely doofy. Any time you knit something out of the sparkly red, green, and white Christmas yarn with the intention of wearing it, you are guaranteed to look like a doofus.

I guess I don't care. I like my doofy Christmas toques.

The one I have with me today isn't extremely doofy, it's true. In fact, if I wear the one I made from the same pattern but in non-Christmas yarn, no one gives it much thought. Wear the same thing in sparkly red, green, and white, though, and you get a lot of nice hat.

Some people might even genuinely mean that, I think.

Where the Christmas doofiness really shines, though, is in my stocking cap. It's a true, long-enough-that-the-pom-pom-hits-me-in-the-butt stocking cap, boys and girls. In sparkly red, green, and white. It's a sight, that's for sure. And I love it.

Truth be known, I thought stocking caps were kind of stupid even as I started knitting my first one (that's right, folks; I have not one but two ridiculous stocking caps). I think I only knit it because the pattern was there and I needed practice knitting in the round. The first time I wore it was a revelation, however. I found out that stocking caps... exist for a reason. Seriously. When you're cold you can wrap them around like a scarf. If you're feeling goofy (as opposed to doofy) you can tie decorative knots in them. Stocking caps? Fantastic. So I knit another one with the Christmas yarn. Christmas stocking caps?

Kinda doofy.

But I don't care.

I haven't worn my stocking cap this year because it hasn't been cold enough, but if we do get a cold day or two before New Years you better believe I'll be proudly drawing even more smiles (and stares, with the stocking cap. It's a given). Maybe I'll even take a photo.



Do you think that the world can take me in all of my true doofitude?

I guess we'll just have to see.

2 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

But I want to see the doofy hat. :)

Sparroweye said...

I knit and crochet. Can you think of a simple coat for a fat dachshund? I keep him one and they never fit. I think I'm just going to keep crocheting a rectangle until it goes around his belly, then crochet on a neck piece and tie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails