Monday 10 September 2012

Drawrings

Today's pointless photo is not of a drawring (they belong on the other blog, anyway). It's of a pumpkin. The blog isn't turning into one yet, though, since I don't really have a point today.

No, the reason for the title has nothing to do with the photo, as is generally the case. Oh, and for anyone young enough to not get the reason for the extra R in drawrings (I mean, besides the idea of an exaggerated English accent), ask your parents about Mike Myers in the bathtub. And after that, ask them about Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, which was was a short, animated kids' show when I was, oddly enough, a kid. There's an episode here, for anyone who's never seen it. Or for those who have, even. That's the British version, though; ours was narrated by Ernie Coombs.

For you non-Canadians amongst my two fans, just google Mr Dressup. And then feel sorry for yourselves that you didn't get to grow up watching him. He was great.

Aaanyway.

The reason that drawing is on the brain -- and, incidentally, one of the reasons that things on the other blog have been pretty slow lately -- is that we have another staff show coming up, and as usual the thought of that has completely blocked me up. It's worse this year, because we're apparently having a theme. It doesn't help that the theme is pretty broad (autumn/October), really. It just means that I'm blocked AND I don't really have the option of bunging some random thing in a frame at the last moment, which is probably what I'd do otherwise.

This is what happens when someone who is resolutely not an artist is told to have something ready to display, you know. I have enough trouble with the fact that I've been putting my own line drawings on our promotional stuff at work lately, and those were done specifically with that purpose in mind.

Sigh. I hate bringing attention to myself. Yes, I know that it's a weird thing for an interpreter to say, but that's the fun of being a shy person in a fairly public job.

And if you're wondering why a shy person ends up in this sort of job in the first place, well, we all have our ways of compensating. Mine is having the ability to make a complete ass of myself in front of five hundred people as long as none of them really know me, then having difficulty making myself phone my own friends later.

Yes, I know it's weird. But I'd be willing to bet that it sounds familiar to at least a few of you out there.

Anyway. Again. If anyone out there has suggestions of things that you've seen on the other blog that might be worth showing (or might be a decent base to create something worth showing, in the case of sketchbook stuff), or some sort of topic that I could start with, just let me know.

Otherwise? Well, it's pretty easy for me to predict a month-long dry spell starting riiight about... now.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails