Tuesday 13 November 2012

Real

Still no new photos, since I've been holed up in my apartment for the last few days. To use the internet meme form (sigh), Stupid Weather is Stupid.

Have a frogsicle instead, then. That'd be a picture of a frozen Wood Frog. I did it for work. And why would I be drawing dead frogs for work? Well, that's the cool thing. Frozen Wood Frogs aren't, as a rule, dead. They freeze for the winter, and are one of only about five frog species that can do that.

And now you know. Shall we move on?

----------

While I was housebound I spent what might seem to be an inordinate amount of time trying on my jewellery, such as it is. Now, before anyone out there gets a mental picture of a crazy old bat playing dress up and pretending to go to the ball, I'll defend my sanity by saying that I was just trying to figure out what amongst my weird stash was actually worth wearing. You know, putting X pendant on Y chain and wearing it around the apartment for a while to see if it would drive me nuts if I wore it that way during a work day. Lather, rinse, repeat.

One thing I've noticed, and am noticing increasingly as I get older, is how much I prefer real over fake. And it doesn't even have to be expensive real, for those who are now humming Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend to themselves. Nothing I own qualifies as expensive, and it would probably freak me out if it did. No, what I'm meaning is that I'm happy wearing a cheap something (the silver ring I wear every day on my pinkie was five dollars, for pity's sake) as long as I know that it's genuine.

Give me a piece of cheap jasper over the finest simulated diamond any day. Sure, the diamonelle (or diamonette or cubic zirconia or whatever) is more sparkly, but the jasper has a... I dunno, a trueness to it somehow. I'm not a crystal and aura type person (no offense to any of you who are), but I definitely feel happier wearing an actual rock than I do wearing something that's pretending to be one.

And yes, I spent waaay too long sniggering at the shopping channel's diamonelle marathon the other day. No matter how much you talk it up, ladies, it's still going to be tacky fake jewellery that I'd be a bit embarrassed to be seen in.

  Maybe I'm just not a glittery kind of girl, but I find the so-called semiprecious stones more interesting to wear anyway. They've got more character.

The "real" aspect extends to metals as well, but maybe not in the way that you might expect. I prefer silver over gold mostly because it looks better on my skin tone. Lucky for me, then, that it's also cheaper, right? Naturally, I'll wear gold as well. I don't have a lot, but what I have gets used. After that, though, is where things admittedly get a little odd. I honestly don't mind wearing other metals... as long as they're not pretending to be anything else. A few years ago my uncle gave me a stainless steel bracelet because it was a bit of a fashion then. Cool. Stainless steel that's not pretending to be anything other than stainless steel? We're good. Just be honest, metal. That's all I'm asking. Be honest, be yourself, and don't be incredibly ugly.

AND DON'T BE GOLDTONE.

Gah. Goldtone. Or gold plated silver. Just be silver, silver. No need to wear a gaudy gold coat that's just going to make you look like fake gold instead of real silver.

Geez, I've been typing for a long time. A long, very interrupted time. I really need to cut this off and get back to work things.

Like frozen frogs.



Frozen frogs never wear goldtone, you know. Just goes to show that nature is smarter than us in a lot of ways...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails